Sunday, October 11, 2009

Meet Vegas, Phoenix, and Sedona

My latest tiny house guests are three brown tabbies between four and five weeks old (I'm guessing closer to five). Their original shelter names were Sun, Sunshine, and Sunset, but that was way too confusing. So, I stuck with the sun theme, but renamed them after three of my favorite sunny places in the US. From left to right they are Phoenix (male), Vegas (male), and Sedona (female).

Vegas is the biggest and also the bravest of the three, but that's very relative. All of them are extremely shy and afraid, and even seem a little sad. They probably miss their mommy.

Phoenix has an eye infection, which unfortunately means I have to get off on the wrong foot with him a little by giving him medicine twice a day. So far, he just sits motionless in my lap while I'm giving it to him, but that's likely a sign of fear, not fondness for the situation. He did seem to enjoy having his chin scratched a little, but he still shies away from initial contact.

Sedona is the smallest and shyest of the three. She's adorably cute, but spends most of her time hiding when she's not eating. Hopefully, she'll get tired of missing out on all the fun soon.

When I first got them home yesterday, the kittens wanted nothing to do with me. Phoenix and Sedona even hissed and growled at me if I got too close. They have made a tremendous amount of progress, though, even just in one day. They have already started to associate my presence with food, which is the first step in earning their trust. I was able to get all three to eat food from my hand, and even got them to play a little with the feather teaser. Vegas, especially, was into that. Underneath his shyness, I think there may be a personality similar to Squeaky in there.

Vegas, Phoenix, and Sedona obviously have a long way to go with their socialization, but it looks like they're going to be fast learners. Because the camera frightens them, I will probably not take any more pictures of them until they are fully comfortable with me, which may be a couple of weeks.

No comments: