Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Respiratory Infection Strikes. Again.

It seems to be a necessary rite of passage that at least one kitten out of every litter I foster ends up coming down with a respiratory infection at some point. Sedona got tagged with it this time, which is unfortunate because she was finally getting over her instinct to hide whenever she saw me coming. Now, she doesn't know if she's going to be petted, fed, or be given some icky-tasting medicine when she sees me, so she assumes the worst and runs. Since these infections are obviously a common problem for young kittens, I wonder why they can't figure out a way to make a medicine that tastes like chicken or tuna?

Vegas and Phoenix have to take the medicine too, but so far, it hasn't affected their progress in becoming sociable kittens. But Sedona truly hates it. She acts like I poisoned her when I give her the medicine! Fortunately, they only have to take it a few more days, so hopefully Sedona will regain her ground quickly. She was really doing great before this.

The kittens did catch a bit of a break, though. They were supposed to have their vaccinations yesterday, but that got postponed until after they're done taking antibiotics. I'm sure they're not too upset that they didn't have to go in for shots this week.

No comments: