Saturday, October 25, 2008

Eye Witnessing

There's something of a vigil going on at my house this weekend. Luke and Leia are now 10 days old, which means their eyes should be opening any time now. It's very likely they'll be getting their first glimpse of the world (and me!) before the weekend is over. In fact, it looks like Luke's eyes are beginning to open already. The lids have unsealed a little on the inner corners, revealing a tiny bit of the eyeball underneath. It wouldn't surprise me if his eyes are all the way open by morning.

The kittens are really growing fast! Leia is now 8 3/8 ounces, and Luke is hovering around 8 ounces. He's caught up to his sister in a hurry! They have both nearly doubled their weight since their arrival here a week ago. Their growth is most noticeable in their heads and paws, but really they're just filled out more all over. They've certainly come a long way from those scrawny little things they were a week ago, and they are eating like little pigs!

Pooping continues to be a challenge, though. In fact, I am convinced that they both have IBS! OK, probably not really, but in the last couple of days, they've gone from constipation to "pudding poo", as one of the vet techs so accurately described it. At least it appears they're finally going regularly now.

One thing that has really helped make "potty" time a lot less stressful on them is to do it on my lap (with a thick washcloth under them, of course) as part of their post-meal grooming, instead of holding them over the sink. They don't seem to like being picked up in the first place, so being picked up and having someone rub a wet rag over their delicate little tushies was enough to evoke loud screaming from them. It was getting to where they'd even hiss when I tried to pick them up for any reason, because they seemed to associate my smell with this unpleasantness instead of the fun stuff like eating and cuddling. So instead of holding them over the sink to potty, I've started giving them little "spit baths" with a warm paper towel or cotton ball after they eat, kind of like a momma cat would with her tongue. I start with their faces, then work my way down. By the time I get to their bottoms, they're nice and relaxed and purring instead of screeching at the top of their lungs. Now, the only time they have to endure being held over the sink is when I'm cleaning them up after they poop. Aside from occasionally having to change my clothes afterwards, this seems to be much easier on them and me. So, I'm sticking with it for as long as it keeps working!

No comments: