Sunday, October 26, 2008

Lazy Afternoon

The Eye Watch continues. Luke's eyes are now about 2/3 open, and he acts like he can see a bit. Leia's eyes are about where Luke's were this time yesterday--that is, her eyes are visible through a pinhole-size opening in corner of her eyelids.

The kittens woke up this morning with huge appetites, likely because their foster mom accidentally set the alarm for PM instead of AM (ack!). Apparently, they were afraid it might be another six hours before they got to ate again, so they wolfed down KMR every two hours until noon. Then, they went to sleep and didn't wake up until nearly 5:00, and that's only because I checked on them which woke them. They promptly drained far more formula than the foster care book the shelter gave me says they should have in a single feeding--and less than three hours later, wanted to eat again. Apparently, they haven't read the book! If I try to cut them off at what they're "supposed" to have, they protest loudly and pitifully, so after double-checking with the vet techs, I guess I'll just keep letting them pig out.

One of the reasons I'm not concerned that they're over-feeding is because they don't have the symptoms. They're not aspirating through their nose when they're eating. They're not throwing up. Most importantly, unless I'm feeding them the pre-mixed KMR, they don't have diarrhea. In fact, they have the opposite problem, which is what Leia is dealing with at the moment. She's working on her second straight day without a poop in sight. I have to say, as much as I am going to miss the kittens, and regret that I won't be able to finish raising them after this week, one thing I will not miss is the potty stimulation. I haven't been this preoccupied with poop before in my life. Hopefully, their next foster mom will have the magic cure for their finicky little bowels.

Luke took a little stroll this evening after dinner. He was restless, crying, and pawing the sides of the nest box. Since he was still so stuffed from his last feeding only an hour earlier, I decided maybe he just needed to stretch his legs a bit. I put him on the floor on a big towel so he could crawl around and try out his freshly-opened eyeballs on some new turf. He seemed to enjoy having a break from the nest. He started purring, and played "find mommy" with my finger an inch or two in front of his face. Afterwards, he curled up on my lap and finally went to sleep.

No comments: