Sunday, August 16, 2009

Six Weeks and Growing

Apologies for the long delay in posting. The day after Squeaky's great adventure, I woke up feeling sick to my stomach, and in general like something was "not right". It felt like I was both hot and cold at the same time, and I had a bad pain under my right rib cage. As the day progressed, it got worse, not better. I finally decided to go to the doctor. Turns out, I had a gall bladder infection, caused by gall stones I didn't even know I had! To make a long story short, my gall bladder had to be removed. After the surgery, I spent several very painful days in the hospital (I thought this was supposed to be an "easy" surgery!) until finally, I was able to keep food down so they could send me home. The recovery is going well now, after a slow start, but today is the first day I've been up for spending an hour on the floor trying to get a good picture of the kittens. Many thanks to my good friends and neighbors, Becky and Jay, for looking after the little ones while I was away.

Squeaky and Fluffy are now six weeks old. They grew a lot while I was in the hospital. They're fully weaned, and are starting to be more active, playing with toys and each other. Fluffy has a bit of a shy streak, while Squeaky is still the adventurous one. Both could use a bit more training with the litterbox. They still struggle with the concept of not stepping in the poo after they go! Hopefully they'll start associating those baths they hate so much with this unfortunate behavior soon, because despite what they may think, I actually don't enjoy "torturing" them with water every day! It's maybe my least favorite part of raising kittens. (OK, it's a close second to those middle of the night feedings).

No comments: